David B. Hensley
(818) 359-7468 Northridge, Ca
- 8+ years of product planning, leadership
experience and managing development teams.
- 10+ years of customer and partner technical
- 13+ years of software design and development
- Experience working with high profile, top tier partners,
effective in troubleshooting, working with cross-functional teams, writing
product requirement documents, detail-oriented, excellent planning,
communication and teamwork skills.
- Extensive experience building and managing teams
in Enterprise Software, Integration and Business Process Management
Seeking a challenging Management
position where I can take a product design from concept to launch, increase
user engagement, market share and revenue.
Resonant Software, Pleasanton,
Director of Product
2005 – Present
the company’s effort in creating a cutting-edge Business Process
Management and Workflow Management product suite that allows an ease of
use and flexibility unseen in any other BPM product.
- Interfaced with CEO
regularly and maintained responsibility for the direction of our product’s
requirements, features, architecture, design and development.
- Worked alongside the
executive team to plan the company’s staffing around our product’s
our product’s technology and corporate vision to potential customers and
with development teams, QA, partners and customers to meet deadlines under
for overseeing Product Management & Project Management duties for
multiple projects, customer pilots and proof of concepts (POC).
technical and business requirements to create design documents, product requirement
documents (PRD) and project plans for each of our released products and
project deployments for multiple multi-billion dollar companies
onsite and offsite relationships with management from multiple customers
in order to ensure the success product engagements. Ensured customers/partners were
satisfied and that their needs were met while balancing our resources with
balanced internal resources with customer and partner expectations while
ensuring that customer/partner satisfaction was met.
Research & Development
for the management and growth of senior level development and QA teams.
- Defined milestones and
full life-cycle of product development including: product design &
refactoring, multiple development iterations, beta testing with partners,
releases, pilot rollouts, and support.
the release and transition of multiple versions of our business guideline
code reviews and mentored development team on coding / design practices.
for the design and delivery of n-tier distributed business process
management system built from the ground up.
overall architecture of system and managed the architects for various
multiple versions of our software on-time and ensured the end product met
customer and busness requirements.
(Imperial Technologies), El Segundo, CA
Research & Development January
2003 – February 2005
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of our software
development team, ensuring multiple concurrent projects are on
schedule. Resolved new issues as
they arose. Responsible for
interviewing and hiring new team members.
- Ensured that development milestones were completed on time and on
- Worked alongside our CEO and VP of Research & Development to
help direct business focus. Helped
to create an attainable six month and two year plan for our storage management
- Prepared and conducted product demonstrations and presentations for
potential partners and business investors.
- Designed, managed and assisted in the development of a distributed
architecture for an enterprise storage management software suite. This software suite, geared toward the
SAN marketplace, provided remote storage profiling and storage monitoring
tools accessible through a web interface.
Work was performed at the OS kernel level, the executable
application level, and at the application server level.
- Developed and managed projects for multiple platforms (Solaris,
Windows, AIX, Linux) using C, C++, Java, and JSP.
- Designed a distributed QA framework that would run unit tests and
regressions for all platforms on a scheduled basis. This QA framework made use of all
available computer systems to ensure tests could be completed in a timely
- Mentored fellow team members on code design, optimization, and
- Responsible for core architecture and technical vision of new
products. Coordinated with CEO to
ensure cohesion between technical requirements and business needs.
- Designed and created a distributed enterprise storage backup
- Written in Java, C, C++, the product was designed in a unique
manner to allow for the shortest data recovery time while maintaining a
minimal storage footprint for backup data.
- Created a backup application to automatically backup local, remote
and traveling machines without any user interaction.
- Created product requirements documents, project design documents
and presentations for potential investors.
- Co-designed and developed a “mesh” computing system for Webanomics'
core framework. The “mesh”
architecture is an N-Tier distributed framework which is designed to be
efficient, secure and extensible.
- Created an architecture that allows new plug-ins to be created in
a quick and efficient fashion. These
can be developed in Java, C and C++.
- The "mesh" architecture is designed to allow for new
systems to be seamlessly added to the "mesh" network and begin
interacting with client machines.
- Designed mesh framework to intelligently manage the flow of data
and the assignment of work to individual mesh machines. Also designed to be a self healing
Services), Pasadena, CA
(Contract), Search Development April
2004 – August 2004
- Accepted a contract position to manage multiple Overture projects,
while incubating Webanomics Software.
- Managed the design and development of multiple applications for the
search development team.
- Organized resources across multiple departments to ensure the
timely completion and rollout of new product features.
- Worked with Product Management to correct / revise project
- Created test plans for QA and ensured proper testing was completed
on each project.
- Provided necessary database changes to our IT department and
ensured all structural changes were implemented on schedule with other
product features being rolled out.
- Led communication and scheduling between other development groups
to ensure all project dependencies were completed properly and in a
- Directed resources across IT and various development groups to
confirm that interdependent projects were launched in the most efficient
way possible while limiting any product downtime or financial risk.
- Responsible for modifying Product Requirements Documents to detail
all enhancements for new version of product. Created clear and detailed project plans
detailing the design, development, testing, and launching of each product
- Used Java and Perl for software development on projects that
provided financial reporting to partners and managed their internal
filter, block, canonicalization and orthogonalization lists.
Technologies (purchased by Sun Microsystems), Monrovia, California
Product Development, Solution Center August
1998 – January 2003
resources for our development team of 14 engineers. Ensured each development team delivered their
products complete and on time.
solutions team in the design, development and testing of a reusable, highly
scalable integration management framework which allowed easier and more
flexible use of our company’s B2B, integration, messaging and middleware
products. This new framework utilized
Java, JSP, JMS, and the SeeBeyond Integration Suite and resulted in the
creation of a new, revenue generating product which reduced customer
implementation time, reduced costs and provided a more efficient, scalable
& distributed architecture.
a cross-functional team of engineers (both local and off-shore) to fix the
company’s broken critical bug-fix process.
specialized high-visibility team to handle top priority bugs for top-tier
with VPs of Product Management, QA, Program Management and Support to define a
new process for bug resolution.
the rolling number of known P1 bugs from ~150 to under 20, in less than 3
Result: A major improvement in customer
satisfaction and a significant decrease in the time needed for a software patch
(from about 2 weeks to roughly 1 day).
streamlined the company’s overall incident resolution process by:
the process that must be followed with each customer support incident and
providing technical leadership to engineers and consultants in resolving
customer support incidents.
a Knowledge Base system for our Worldwide Customer Support to offer more
efficient solution to customers.
processes and tools to minimize the time required to replicate customer
environments. This allowed product
environments to be shared between the support, development and QA department,
resulting in quicker resolution time for critical bug fixes.
Result: Improved total customer
satisfaction, reduction in critical bug count, reduced incident resolution time
by streamlining efficiency of our Worldwide Customer Support Team.
Manager / Team
Lead / Sr. Software Engineer, Adapter & Integration Group
- Architected the framework for the core integration engine and
adapters in Java, C, and C++.
- Managed multiple, concurrent projects while leading and assisting a
team of 12 senior engineers.
- Timely delivery of numerous adapters for our enterprise application
- Defined design strategies that were to be used for the development
of new adapters using OOA and UML class diagrams. Key factors were speed, usability,
reliability, and scalability.
- Designed and developed many adapters (eWays) to integrate
SeeBeyond’s integration suite with numerous third-party software packages
and technologies (App Server / Web Server, multi-threaded C and Java
Generic API Kit, Commerce One, SMTP, POP3, Axion4, Java to Lisp, and WAP)
- Delivery of many new adapters which were developed faster, were
able to pass through QA quicker, and required much less maintenance due to
the design of the new adapter architecture.
- Responsible for evaluating, interviewing and hiring new members to
our development team.
- Created GUI layout and process flow for our Enterprise Manager application
using Java & Swing.
- Designed Java multithreaded network tools for connectivity between
our distributed application components.
- Created a Java database to hold business flow and routing
information. Created an extensive
set of Java APIs to download and cache information requested by a user.
- Ported original network and database calls written in C/C++ to JNI
and then to pure Java. This
resulted in a dramatic increase in our Applications GUI performance (a
minimum of 10-100 times faster).
Reduced memory usage by 75% and rid our GUIs of fatal deadlock
errors. The conversion of all
existing native code to pure Java saved QA and development time, made
product installation easier, and reduced customer support incidents.
Boeing North America
(Rocketdyne), Canoga Park, CA
Applications Engineer 1997
and developed a sensor monitoring and analysis application for NASA and the
International Space Station. This
application allowed continuous plotting and analysis of both real time and
historical sensor data.
for the complete development cycle of the entire application, including
software requirements, coding, testing, and documentation.
great praise for the early and complete delivery of a product that included
additional functionality not originally budgeted in the product. The software greatly improved response time
and monitoring capabilities over other monitoring tools previously used.
Contracting positions (multiple companies) 1994
- Standardized a FORTRAN-to-C interface between different FORTRAN
compilers and assisted in porting issues for major software product.
- Wrote numerous PERL scripts to expedite many daily tasks including
modification of the entire source tree of two enterprise software
- Completion of 4 assignments 1 month ahead of schedule (completed in
75% of time). Code became easier
and faster for developers to write on all platforms.
- Designed, created, and maintained numerous web based applications.
- Developed Java applications,
and applets. Created personalized
CGI scripts with Perl and C.
EDUCATION / SKILLS / GROUPS
of Science, Computer Science, December 1997 – California State University,
of Mensa International
Group Member for JSR 311 – Java API for RESTful Web Services
Group Member for JSR 312 – Java Business Integration, JBI 2.0s
Languages: Java, C++, C, SQL, HTML, Perl (not
recent) Monk /LISP
Operating Systems: Unix (Linux, HP, Solaris, AIX),
Programming Technologies: JEE (J2EE), JSP, XML, EJB, Servlets, Web Services, XML Schema XSD, JBI,
Struts, JMX, JAXB, RMI, Java Beans, Swing, JavaMail, Socket & Thread
Programming, SOAP, HTTP, SMTP & POP3 protocols, MIME, CGI, OOD, OOA, EAI,
BPM, BPEL, BPML, SOA, ESB, REST
Database & Queing
Technologies: Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, XML DBs, IBM
DB/2, JDBC, Microsoft MSMQ, IBM MQ Series, Hibernate, JMS
Applications: Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Websphere, Weblogic,
Bugzilla, SeeBeyond eBI Suite, Microsoft Project, Visio
IDE & Version Control: CVS, Subversion, Eclipse, Visual Studio